Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Slow the Clock Down! Geez!

What?

It's July already!?

Where the hell did all the time go?  What have I been doing?  Who am I again?

The past three months are a blur.  Let's see if I can properly execute an update:

I had some work up in a print show at Louisiana ArtWorks a couple months ago.  The show was nice.  Met some great people.  Ran into others whom I haven't seen in a long time.  My work didn't sell....bummer.  (but it is still for sale....fyi)  For the most part, it's really all about networking.  Yeah, I had this print up in a group show but........I made new contacts and better acquainted myself with a new facility.  I really can't complain about that too much, if at all.

I've attempted two open studios at my house.  No dice.  Let me rephrase that:  Friends showed up, that's about it.  My apartment is inside the building, not outside.  It's much easier to access an open studio from the outside.  That is how patrons access our gallery.  Makes sense.  I need to come up with a better plan.

I participated in Tipitina's annual fundraiser, Instruments A Comin.  Darcy and I had a table set up along with 15 other artists, roughly.  Not a big success, but I sold a few things.  Works for me.  Darcy donated a piece of her work for their silent auction and we got some great photos of the marching bands battling it out on Napoleon Ave.  This event was my FIRST experience in an art market-type environment.  Trial run.....successful.

Speaking of Darcy, we both shared a table at PhotoNOMA this year.  Our portfolios shined and Ms. Dar Dar even received big kudos from Coup D'Oeil Art Consortium on Magazine Street. The guy gave her his business card!  Yet another wonderful evening.

I am experimenting in the ancient craft of paper making.  Now this is fun stuff!  My partner in crime and I have no end product in mind (other than the paper of course) so we're just producing.  When the muse speaks, I will listen.

Currently, I have a piece up at Du Mois Gallery on Freret Street.  Their print show, Cold Drink, is a breath of fresh air.  Everything on those walls is fantastic!!  If you haven't made a stop, you should.  And while you're there, check out Jesse Shaw's relief prints.  I don't ever say this, but O.M.G.!!!  This artist definitely inspires me to be a bit more ambitious with my block printing. 

Summer camp started at GlassWorks in June.  I'm trying to keep up with the students because I'd like to set up a student show this year......a REAL one.  Wish me luck on that.......

May be collaborating with a friend of mine on some art for White Linen Night.  The plans aren't completely solid yet, but I'm looking forward to working with him.  I guess I'll keep you posted as things progress.  

Annndddd, I think that's it for now.  

I recently fell into a strange mental block.  Depression?  Hot weather?  Exhaustion?  Lack of money?  BP?  I don't know.  Whatever it is, I hope it goes away......and fast!  I'm supposed to increase my inventory over the summer and I'm slacking.  I sit in my studio and just stare at everything.  My mind is a blank canvas.  Where's my damn paint??????

Goodnight, World!  We start anew in the A.M.

Cheers!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment