Friday, February 27, 2009

Xerox Transfer Printmaking

I tried my attempt at xerox transfers about two weeks ago. Honestly, I was not too impressed then. After trying it again yesterday, I don't think I had enough faith in it that first time. Yes, it took some tweaking and re-printing, but they didn't come out that bad:


I need to focus more on how much I'm wiping the ink. The first print had a lot of ink on it. I wiped the ink off too much for the second print. After the other instructors and I played around with it for a bit, we discovered that graphic images work better than hand-drawn ones. The heart came out nice, detail and all.

Incorporating this method of printing into other traditional methods may be beneficial to my work, especially since I use text a lot.

The method of xerox transfer I used is with gum arabic. It tends to act as a less tedious version of lithography: the gum arabic resists the ink on the white sections of the print and the black toner serves as an absorbent of ink. Maybe I'll go into a little more detail later. I'll also post more photos of more transfers as I get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment