Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why Write About It?

I don't like artist statements. Let me explain:

As much as I'd love to have that one, single artistic focus, it is not there. My work changes so often and so suddenly. There is almost no time to keep up with a new statement each time my mind switches gears. I guess one could also say that I have yet to find a consistent theme or concept in my work, but when discovered, THAT will become part of my statement.

At the moment, I'm researching ways to bring printmaking into the realm of 3D, or sculptural, work. It isn't too hard to figure it out, but I want to investigate all possibilities before diving head first into a project.

Investigating.....

Research. It becomes roughly 80% of my work. One month, I begin my journey into an idea and then three months later, after I've exhausted much of my reading materials, the visual representation begins. This is particularly so when it comes to language. I do enjoy the idea of language as both text and a visually aesthetic stimulant. On a similar note, I've been doing a lot of reading on illiteracy.

As much as I despise having to state my artistic intentions on paper, I am trying to create a meaningful and universal statement for my work. Most of my postings will lean towards that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment